Mathematical sciences departments of each AMSI member institution receives an annual travel allocation. These funds are held by AMSI and cover reimbursements to member institutions for authorised receipted travel expenses of their students and early careers researchers (without other support) to attend AMSI workshops, meetings and courses.
1. The AMSI Travel Fund provides full or partial support for Australian higher degree research students and early career researchers (< 6 years post PhD) who do not have access to their own research funds to participate in AMSI Sponsored Events
2. Applicants must at the time of the event satisfy one of the following:
(a) be enrolled in a mathematical sciences higher degree research program at an AMSI Member University
(b) be an early career researchers employed at an AMSI Member University
3. Funding is available for:
(a) Travel expenses
(b) Accommodation expenses
Note: we do not pay meal allowance, per diems or conference registration
Applications and award of funding
4. Applications may be submitted during the event registration open period and will be considered within 10 working days of application. The application acceptance will detail the total Australian dollar amount approved by AMSI. This email will be sent to the attendee and the Head of Mathematical sciences.
5. Applications should consist of the completed online application form including a budget listing expenses requested and a letter of support from your head of mathematical sciences or AMSI Member Representative clearly stating that they support your application.
6. The letter of support should include:
• Name of the person applying for funding
• Confirm their status as a student or early career researchers (< 6 years post PhD)
• The event to be attended & a breakdown of the costs requested.
Conditions of funding
7. In applying for funding applicants agree that their name and affiliation can be published on the AMSI website and in other AMSI reports and promotional material.
Payment of the funding
9. AMSI Travel Funding is paid after the event
10. For reimbursement the attendee submits tax invoices for the agreed items to their home university to arrange reimbursement. The university produces an invoice to claim the reimbursement from AMSI.
11. The invoice to AMSI should include the following details:
• Name of the person who travelled to the event
• Date and full name of the event
• Receipts/tax invoices relating to travel expenses
12. Invoices should be forwarded to the following address
ATTN: Liam Williamson
Australian Mathematical Science Institute
Building 161, Monash Road
The University of Melbourne
Parkville VIC 3010
Or email a scanned copy to firstname.lastname@example.org
13. AMSI must receive an invoice for the agreed amount within 120 days of the date of the event, with attached copies of the tax invoices.
ARE YOU ORGANISING AN AMSI SPONSORED EVENT?
The suggested wording to include on your event website is as follows
This event is sponsored by the Australian Mathematical Sciences Institute (AMSI). AMSI allocates a travel allowance annually to each of its member universities (for list of members, see www.amsi.org.au/members).
Students or early career researchers from AMSI member universities without access to a suitable research grant or other source of funding may apply (with approval of the Head of Mathematical Sciences) for subsidy of travel and accommodation out of the departmental travel allowance.
For more information on funding for workshops and events