About Heidelberg Laureate Forum
The Heidelberg Laureate Forum is an annual meeting bringing together winners of the most prestigious scientific awards in Mathematics (Abel Prize, Fields Medal and Nevanlinna Prize) and Computer Science (ACM Turing Award) with a select group of highly talented young researchers. Roughly 200 young scientists from all over the world get the unique opportunity to interact with their scholarly role models during lectures, panels and discussions. At the same time, the up and coming scientists can engage in inspiring and motivating conversations with the laureates during various social events. The Heidelberg Laureate Forum provides a platform for scientific dialogue across generations.
Each year AMSI and AustMS provide funding to support young Australian researchers attendance at the event.
1. Fund applicants must be successful applicants to the HLF in the field of mathematics.
2. Applicants must be members of the Australian Mathematical Society.
3. Applicants must be employed by, or enrolled as a student at, an Australian university mathematical sciences department or school.
4. Applicants must have written support from the head of school or department indicating the extent of other financial support available for the applicant.
5. Applicants should normally plan to use the HLF opportunity to undertake scientific activities overseas beyond the period of the Forum.
1. Funding will be made available from the HLF Travel Fund after each Forum and upon submission of receipts for eligible expenses (a return economy international airfare and other travel to the Forum location, one or two nights accommodation may be included to a maximum of $3000 AUD).
2. The home departments of successful candidates will be notified prior to each event suggesting that home department underwriting may be required and indicating the maximum amount that will be available from the Fund.
3. It is normally expected that the successful candidate’s department will fund at least one third of the expenses.
4. Successful applicants will be notified as soon as possible after their application is received and advised of the maximum funding available to them upon the provision of receipts after the event.
- A short written interview for the AMSI website
- A report on your attendance at the HLF for the AustMS Gazette, AMSI website and AMSI Research Report
- Some photographs from the HLF to accompany your report
- Confirmation that proposed additional activities were undertaken
Funding is awarded to capped amount.
The attendee must submit tax invoices (where possible) for the agreed items to their home university to arrange reimbursement. The university produces an invoice to claim the reimbursement from AustMS. This should include the following details:
Name of the person who travelled to the event
Date and full name of the event
Receipts/tax invoices relating to travel expenses
NOTE: It is the applicants’ responsibility to check their university process and guidelines before booking travel
Please read the eligibility conditions carefully before applying. Applicants must be successful applicants to the HLF in the field of mathematics.
Applications close 5pm 25 May 2018.